Work Group Charter
The lack of housing and supports causes people with mental health needs/disabilities to cycle among jails, institutions, shelters, and the streets; to remain unnecessarily in institutions; or to live in seriously substandard housing.
- Missouri’s priority populations most in need of housing assistance includes:
- Women with substance abuse issues who have children.
- Veterans with mental illness and/or substance abuse issues.
- People with Mental Illness who move in and out of both mental health and corrections institutions because they have no housing.
- People who have both a mental illness and a developmental disability.
- People with developmental disabilities moving out of institutional settings.
- People with disabilities and low income in Missouri face an extreme housing affordability crisis :
- On average, in Missouri, an individual with SSI renting a one bedroom unit pays 83% of their income for housing.
- Inadequate affordable housing resources in Missouri exacerbate the housing crisis for people with disabilities.
- An array of housing options will be available in the community for persons with mental health needs / disabilities.
- An array of supports will be available to assist persons with mental health needs/disabilities remain in the community-based housing option of choice.
- Service providers will be fully informed about housing options and competent to assist consumers in accessing the housing option of their choice.
- Services and supports should be designed to reflect the individual’s choices and needs, and be flexible to meet the changing needs of the person.
- Persons with mental health needs/disabilities remain institutionalized due to lack of appropriate and available housing options.
- Persons are not able to remain in their choice of housing due to lack of appropriate services and supports.
- Address the strategies identified in the Transformation Plan, which are based on recommendations from the Housing Subgroup of the Disparities are Eliminated Workgroup.
- Identify policy, financing and structural changes to recommend to TWG.
- Develop a project management schedule that includes:
- Specific Actions Steps;
- Lead for each of the Action Steps; and
- Target Dates for initiation of each Action Step
- Mechanism for provision of routine progress reports for each of the Action Steps.
- Recommendations of the Housing Subgroup of the Disparities are Eliminated Workgroup.
- Final report of the Disparities Workgroup